Virginia, MN, Hospital & Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers
Fighting for Injury Victims in St. Louis & Carlton Counties
When your loved ones require specialized care, it may be necessary to entrust them to the staff at a hospital or nursing home. This transition can be frustrating, emotional, and worrisome to everyone involved, even in the best of circumstances. Although we naturally expect them to receive the care and attention they need, elder neglect is a very real concern. Far too often, hospitals and nursing homes fail in providing proper care through neglect or abuse to these vulnerable family members.
At Trenti Law Firm, we are dedicated to righting the wrongs of such misconduct in nursing homes and hospitals. Our highly-skilled legal team has been fighting for the rights of the elderly in northeastern Minnesota for decades. We take these cases as seriously as if they were our own family members. If your loved one has been victimized by any kind of neglect or abuse, we can help you navigate the sometimes complex legal steps involved in ensuring that he or she is protected and potentially compensated for any injuries or damages.
Trenti Law Firm is available 24/7. Contact our experienced legal team online or at (218) 282-4426 for a consultation about your negligence or abuse case today.
What Is Elder Neglect or Abuse in Nursing Homes or Hospitals?
Elder neglect can occur in hospitals, nursing homes, or any facility where the resident is dependent on others for proper care and medical attention. Elder neglect occurs when this care is wrongly withheld, whether on an emotional, physical, or medical basis. This neglect can cause pain, distress, and even death for the victim.
More severe cases of hospital and nursing home negligence may take the form of malpractice or active abuse – physically, emotionally, financially, or sexually.
Examples of elder neglect and abuse can include:
- Medical neglect. This can include improper care for health issues, such as diabetes, infections, or other illnesses. It can also include failure to properly move bedridden patients which can lead to bedsores, failure to provide needed medications, and more.
- Poor hygiene. Lack of proper bathing, change of clothing, change of bedding, and more can lead to health problems, emotional upset, and humiliation.
- Neglect of basic needs. Failure to keep rooms and common areas clean and sanitized, failure to monitor a resident’s food and water intake, and more can lead to dehydration, malnutrition, and exposure to illness.
- Emotional neglect. This can be caused by isolation or overmedicating to keep residents compliant.
- Malpractice and other types of abuses. This can involve medical, physical, emotional, financial, and even sexual abuse by staff, other residents, and third parties. It can be manifested in various ways, from verbal insults to physical assaults, sexual assaults, identity theft, improper administration of medications, failure to diagnose or treat, and more.
In all circumstances, laws have been enacted to protect fragile and defenseless residents and patients from the above types of misconduct. These laws include the 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act as well as the Minnesota Bill of Patient Rights.
Take Positive Action on Behalf of Your Family Member
It is important to take the time to inquire about the experiences of your senior resident or hospital patient. Many of the elderly refrain from complaining due to embarrassment or fear. If you discover signs of negligence or abuse, it is crucial to first protect the victim. Often, this means removing your family member from the facility where the abuse is taking place or dismissing a caretaker who is the responsible party.
Learning that a loved one has experienced abuse at a hospital or nursing home can be overwhelming. Take the time to consult with an attorney who has experience in hospital and nursing home negligence, such as one of our legal team at Trenti Law Firm, We can provide valuable insight and a clear course of action. Our compassionate personal injury lawyers will help you navigate the often complex legal steps involved to ensure that your loved one is protected and safe.
Schedule a consultation with a Virginia, MN hospital and nursing home negligence attorney by contacting us online today. We are also available at (218) 282-4426.
“We chose Trenti Law Firm because we heard a lot of great things for them. They were very good to us and gave us a lot of great information. They were so good to…
After calling the Trenti Law Firm, we quickly understood that Joe was GREATClyde
“Joe is more than an attorney, he is a friend. He is so easy to talk to and he genuinely cares about his clients. They will go above and beyond what anybody else would…